The structure of the Registry
Heading up the Registry is the Director of the Institute of Informatics and Telematics of CNR (Iit-Cnr), who brings in the Management Committee to coordinate the various activities and the Steering Committee for the formulation of the Regulations for the assignment and maintenance of domain names. The Management Committee consists of the heads of the five units under which the Registry is organized.
The Management Committee is responsible for supporting the Director in the organization of work and personnel and administrative and financial management, both in terms of the use of resources of the Iit and those made available by external stakeholders.
Specifically, the members of the committee assess whether to take on new staff and purchase new equipment;
- they examine proposals for new courses of advanced training;
- they express their opinion on events; they examine the budgets and final balances arising from contracts with the Registry;
- they establish what direction the following year's activities will take and establish a possible line of conduct in relation to any new set-ups. At public events (conferences, symposia, seminars, annual meetings, etc..) they set out and update the annual work plan of the Registry.
The Registry is organized into five units:
- Operations: this unit defines the technical procedures for registration, activities related to all operations on .it domains registered and the help desk for or end users and Registrars.
- Systems and Technological Development Unit: he Systems and Technological Development Unit is responsible, among other things, for the design and development of registration systems for domain names and technologically innovative tools to underpin the management of the .it Registry. In addition, the Unit deals with implementation and execution of these tools, the management, development and monitoring of the Registry's network and its equipment, services for Registrars (DNS, Whois, EPP servers, Web, mail, telephone, etc.), along with the provision of a helpdesk for Registrars and Internet users in general.
- External Relations, Media and Communication: deals with internal and external communication, organizes training courses and events for Registrars; plays the role of Press Office; manages the helpdesk for Registrars (for general information).
- Disputes and legal issues: manages activities relating to all issues of legal nature on .it domains (disputes, access to legal documents, etc.) • International Relations: participates in the activities of the international organizations dealing with policies related to the domain names system.
- International Relations:> It has the task of monitoring relations with international organisations with which the Registry interacts to compare experiences with other ccTLD and develop the use of best practices. The main organisations in which the Registry regularly participates are: - ICANN (Internet Corporation for assigned Names and Numbers); - RIPE (Réseaux IP Européennes); - CENTR (Council of European National Top Level Domain Registries).
Steering Committee of the Registry
The Steering Committee of the Registry acts as a consultant for the Registry by expressing opinions regarding how to ensure that the domain name registration service functions at its best in terms of being equity, transparency, equal access to the service as well as ensuring the rights of third parties and consumers. The Steering Committee has a term lasting two years and operates in accordance with its own .
The representatives of Registrars within the Steering Committee of the Registro .it (CIR), are elected through an automated voting system, in accordance with the following Rules.
The Committee’s operations are performed in accordance with its own Rules. The members’ replacement of the CIR is currently pending.
ISO 9001 Certification
The Registry obtained certification in 2004. The guidelines and objectives of the quality system have been redefined in recent years on the basis of structural and operational changes that have been designed to optimize procedures at the Registry.